What is Family Literacy?
Family literacy focuses on parents as the means to improve the reading and writing skills of all family members. By reading to children and engaging in fun literacy activities, parents are modeling strong literacy skills and a love of reading, while at the same time strengthening the relationship within their families. There are many activities that help strengthen literacy skills and all it takes is 15 minutes every day.
Why is Family Literacy Important?
Family literacy helps reinforce the importance of learning with children as a means of building the knowledge necessary for future skills and helps adults maintain and model their own literacy skills. Family Literacy Day can be celebrated in your home by setting aside time to read, play a game, write a letter, or even follow a recipe together.
15 Minutes of Literacy Fun
Learning can happen at any time. Practicing literacy together every day has tremendous benefits for both children and parents.
Here are some great ways to get started:
- Write a joke book with your family.
- Read a bedtime story to the grown-up putting you to bed.
- Make up a new recipe together and post it online.
- Tell knock-knock jokes together while doing the dishes.
- Organize a book swap at your school.
- Make up riddles and tell them to your friends.
- Create a family book club.
- Create your own comic strip about your family
- Build a drum with your family.
- Surf the Internet and learn about your favorite animal.
- Make up a song about your day to sing to your family at dinnertime.
- Write messages to your family on sticky notes and post them around the house.
- Play a board game together.
- Build an acrostic poem using your hero’s name.
- Make an origami boat and see if it will float.is coming to our school from October 24-31st!!