Heritage Heights Family Literacy Bingo
During literacy week, we will also be sending home a HH Family Literacy Bingo Card with all students from Kindergarten-Grade 4. The bingo card is full of literacy activities to do with your families and it runs from January 25 - February 24, 2021. Please have your child return the bingo card to the Learning Commons by Wednesday, February 24th, and their name will be entered into our Family Literacy Bingo draw for a chance to win some great prizes.
Literacy at Home
What is Family Literacy?
There are many activities that help strengthen literacy skills and all it takes is 15 minutes every day.
Why is Family Literacy Important?
Family literacy helps reinforce the importance of learning with children as a means of building the knowledge necessary for future skills and helps adults maintain and model their own literacy skills. Family Literacy Day can be celebrated in your home by setting aside time to read, play a game, write a letter, or even follow a recipe together. We are excited to have you and your family share your literacy activities with us on Flipgrid.
15 Minutes of Literacy Fun
Learning can happen at any time. Practicing literacy together every day has tremendous benefits for both children and parents.
Here are some great ways to get started:
- Write a joke book with your family.
- Read a bedtime story to the grown-up putting you to bed.
- Make up a new recipe together.
- Tell knock-knock jokes together while doing the dishes.
- Make up riddles and tell them to your friends.
- Create your own comic strip about your family
- Build a drum with your family.
- Research your favorite animal.
- Make up a song about your day to sing to your family at dinnertime.
- Write messages to your family on sticky notes and post them around the house.
- Play a board game together.
- Build an acrostic poem using your hero’s name.
- Make an origami boat and see if it will float
- Research your family’s history and culture. Learn about your family traditions (how about starting a new one!)
- Research a country that interests you on the internet with your family. Find out things like the language they speak, their currency, and popular food, music and sports
- Teach your family how to say hello and goodbye in different languages.