Heritage Heights Scholastic Book Fair
The Scholastic Book Fair including an In-School Student Fair and an At-Home Virtual Fair,
is coming to our school from
May 7th -May 14th
Follow the below link to our Virtual Book Fair site
Our VIRTUAL FAMILY EVENT NIGHT
will be on
Wednesday, May 12 from 6:00 PM-8:00 PM
All orders placed on family night will receive FREE SHIPPING
Our new books are ready for circulation!
Thank you very much parent council for donating money to support us with purchasing new young adult books!! All of the new books are on display and students are very excited to start reading!! Information about all of our new books can be accessed on OPAC our online public catalogue.
Literacy at Home
What is Family Literacy?
Many activities help strengthen literacy skills and all it takes is 15 minutes every day.
Why is Family Literacy Important?
Family literacy helps reinforce the importance of learning with children as a means of building the knowledge necessary for future skills and helps adults maintain and model their own literacy skills. Family Literacy Day can be celebrated in your home by setting aside time to read, play a game, write a letter, or even follow a recipe together. We are excited to have you and your family share your literacy activities with us on Flipgrid.
15 Minutes of Literacy Fun
Learning can happen at any time. Practicing literacy together every day has tremendous benefits for both children and parents.
Here are some great ways to get started:
- Write a joke book with your family.
- Read a bedtime story to the grown-up putting you to bed.
- Make up a new recipe together.
- Tell knock-knock jokes together while doing the dishes.
- Makeup riddles and tell them to your friends.
- Create your own comic strip about your family
- Build a drum with your family.
- Research your favourite animal.
- Make up a song about your day to sing to your family at dinnertime.
- Write messages to your family on sticky notes and post them around the house.
- Play a board game together.
- Build an acrostic poem using your hero’s name.
- Make an origami boat and see if it will float
- Research your family’s history and culture. Learn about your family traditions (how about starting a new one!)
- Research a country that interests you on the internet with your family. Find out things like the language they speak, their currency, and popular food, music, and sports
- Teach your family how to say hello and goodbye in different languages.